About Tech Sassy Girlz
Tech Sassy Girlz is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in Orlando, FL. Our mission is to empower middle and high school girls to pursue science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields through college preparation, career readiness, mentoring and entrepreneurship. Tech Sassy Girlz is an open access, self-select, out-of-school program for girls in middle and high school.
Seeking an individual for a STEM Mentor (Mentor) position with Tech Sassy Girlz to introduce girls to a comprehensive and unique science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) program focused on computer science, technology and engineering. The Mentor needs to be self-motivated and excited about inspiring middle and high school girls to STEM in a fun and engaging way!
Essential Job Functions
• Empower young women in STEM and help diversify the STEM pipeline
• Assist Technical Instructor in facilitation of learning around programming (HTML, CSS, Java Script, compiled programming, Java or Python)
• Meet with students during office hours to assist them in problem solving technical issues and homework
• Effectively engage and build relationships with students and staff to inspire them in STEM
• Assist with coordinating professional development opportunities, meals and transportation for students
• Prepare students for “Demo Day”
• Attend team and project meetings
• Compile, manage and organize reports
• Assist with research and outreach
The successful candidate will have experience with developing and managing computer science or other related STEM curricula in a K-12 environment. Candidate should:
• Be mature, reliable, patient, understanding, and encouraging
• Be flexible and adaptable to a dynamic and fluid work environment
• Have experience working with youth in grades 6 – 12
• Design and develop instructional materials
• Have experience in drag and drop programming, HTML, CSS, Java Script, compiled programming, Java or Python also desirable
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and other related computer skills required; knowledge of Salesforce is a plus.
• Have strong organizational skills, time management and classroom management skills and attention to detail required
• Have strong verbal and written communication skills with an emphasis on business writing skills
• Be able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks/projects
• Have experience working in a team-oriented and collaborative environment
• Have the ability to meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure
• Exhibit good judgment and decision-making skills
• College degree or pursuing a college degree in computer science, technology, or engineering
• Previous experience teaching youth (specifically middle and high school students) in formal or informal (summer camps, afterschool programs, etc.) settings
This is a contract position, but must be available May 2023 – August 2023.
To be considered:
• Must pass a Level 2 background check
• Must have a computer science, technology or engineering background/experience
• Must have direct teaching experience with middle and/or high school students
• Must have reliable transportation.
• Travel is approximately 10-15%
• This is not a remote position.
• $18 per hour